Friday, November 5, 2010

Saving Money: make your own pumpkin puree

What am I doing this morning? You guessed it. Making my own pumpkin puree. I've always just thrown away our pumpkins that we carved, but this year decided to puree them so I could make . . . yummy pumpkin cookies, pumpkin bread, and of course pumpkin pie.
I found a great, quick recipe here.
1. oven to 400 degrees
2. cut pumpkin into quarters (place in pan with skin showing with 1 c. water)
3. place in oven for 30 minutes
4. cool until you're able to handle them
5. scoop out the flesh and then mash (or place in the blender if you want it like the store bought puree)
6. then pour through a sieve
And you're done!!! Think of all the money you will have saved.



3 comments:

  1. Amy, thank you for your sweet, sweet comment you left on my blog. You're to sweet, and I love and thank you for your encouragement. :) I pray many blessings, on you, your family and this new season of life you're entering. You are all in my thoughts & prayers it is a tough thing to leave your children.

    PS- I love both our little "Avas" ;) Can't wait to see your new little bundle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try that next year. We didn't get any pumpkins for Halloween, and most of the ones left in the store are looking a little sad, to say the least. That and I already picked up a couple of cans of pumpkin pie mix/puree. :) But, next year for sure!!

    ReplyDelete