Friday, May 14, 2010

Food Obsession: homemade strawberry jam

I'm a huge fan of homemade strawberry freezer jam. Growing up, my mom used to make it every summer. It's the only strawberry jam I'd eat. It was delicious, loaded with sugar, and I just couldn't get enough of it.
When I went away to school, I called my mom one day to get her "secret" family recipe. Little did I know, this recipe wasn't a secret. She just followed the easy instructions in the fruit pectin box.
Since I discovered this, every summer I get out my jars, load up on fruit pectin and sugar, bring out my pounds of strawberries and make this delicious freezer jam. It really is easy. All you have to do is:
1. Wash and dry containers and lids
2. Wash fruit, crush in blender, and place 2 cups of the crushed strawberries in a bowl
3. Measure 4 c. of sugar and mix into the 2c. of crushed strawberries; let sit for 10 minutes
4. Get out the fruit pectin and then follow the instructions (the one I have, says to mix 3/4 c. water and one box fruit pectin into small saucepan. Over high heat, bring to boil, and boil one minute, stiring constantly)
5. Stir pectin into fruit and continue to stir for 3 minutes
6. Quickly pour into prepared containers, wiping clean top edge. Fill to within 1/2 inch from top. Cover at once with lids. Let stand at room temperature, for 24 hours and then store in freezer and regrigerate after opening
I made two batches of strawberry jam today in less than an hour. How easy is that. And the real reward will come tomorrow when I actually get to eat it!!!
*** for those of you who are watching your sugar intake, they also have a fruit pectin that contains instructions for a "lighter" stawberry jam

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I love strawberry....anything :)

    Visiting from New Friend Friday at The Girl Creative...I'm your newest follower! Love for you to stop by and visit me!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)
    ~Shelley @ Shelley's Swag

    www.shelleysswag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, love strawberry jam!!!


    (visiting from nff)

    ReplyDelete